|Yakima Youth Symphonoy Orchestra & Yakima Ensemble for Strings Rehearsal, Concert and Audition Updates: Based on local and national guidance regarding COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus), and for the health and safety of our musicians and staff, Yakima Youth Symphony Orchestra (YYSO) and Yakima Ensemble for Strings (YES):
Our Orchestras: Established in 1965, the Yakima Youth Symphony Orchestra (YYSO) gives student musicians ages 8-21 an opportunity to play music in a full symphony orchestra. Participation is by audition; students pay tuition to support operational expenses. Students from throughout the Yakima Valley rehearse weekly under the direction of Bruce Walker. Musical rigor is high; musicianship expectations also are high with strict attendance requirements and adherence to professional standards of conduct. The YYSO facilitates the Yakima Ensemble for Strings (YES!) under the direction of Christy Baisinger to provide younger string players a similar symphonic opportunity.
Rehearsals and Performances: YYSO and YES rehearse on Monday evenings. YYSO rehearses from 6:30-8:30pm. YES rehearses from 6:30-7:30pm. Concerts occur on Sunday afternoons/evenings. The annual fundraiser is held on a Saturday evening. For details, please explore our calendar.
|For information about the YYSO and YES! please visit www.yyso.org Note: The YYSO website is currently off-line.
At this time you may contact the youth symphony via the YSO CONTACT US form or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Link: YYSO-YES 2019-20 Calendar (updated 8/19/2019)|
|Link: YYSO-YES Registration Form (for students who have auditioned and been admitted)|
|Link: YYSO-YES Student Handbook|
|Link: YYSO Concert Attire Guidelines|
|Link: YYSO-YES Student Financial Assistance Request Form: please request via email (email@example.com)
|Link: YYSO Concerto Competition Form|
|Link: YYSO-YES Parent Volunteer Policy and Link: YYSO-YES Parent Volunteer “Opt-Out” Policy and Form|
|Link: Benefits of Youth Symphony|
|Link: Youth Symphony Brochure|
|Auditions for the 2020-21 Season: Please check back for updates of timing and details.
Interested in auditioning for the YYSO or YES? Send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the:
1) Name of student
2) Name of parent
3) Email address of student (high school age and above, if student has an email address)
4) Email address of parent
5) Telephone number of student (high school age and above, if student has a phone number)
6) Telephone number of parent
7) Grade in school in the 2019-20 (current) season
9) Number of years playing this instrument
10) If student is taking private lessons, please list the name of the teacher.
|Yakima Ensemble for Strings (YES!) Auditions (all sessions) – Minimum requirements for participation are:
1) Typically students are through Book 2 of a Strings Book Series.
2) Students can play flats.
3) Cellists know extension positions.
4) The audition will consist of playing scales, a short prepared piece and sight-reading.
|Yakima Youth Symphony Orchestra (YYSO) Auditions – Returning and NEW Potential Students: Requirements for participation are:|
|1) Scales: One major and minor for all instruments
– Strings: 3 octave scale and demonstrate spiccato and legato bow strokes
– Winds and Brass: 2 to 3 octave scale and demonstrate fast, slow, legato, staccato with fast tonguing
2) Required Excerpt(s) (follow this link to the excerpts: Link will be posted
3) Solo of choice that demonstrates technical and lyrical ability (you may choose two different pieces)
4) Possible sight-reading
5) Violinists interested in auditioning for Concertmaster: please see the folder in the link for special concertmaster materials
2019-20 Yakima Youth Symphony Orchestra Governing Committee